Last Updated on 27th February 2023
Email marketing has been around for decades. It’s a powerful tool that allows businesses to connect with their customers in a way that was never possible before.
But is it still relevant in 2021 and beyond?
The short answer is, yes, and these email marketing statistics prove it.
While some people think that email marketing has had its heyday, the stats don’t show that to be the case. Now more than ever email marketing is bringing a higher ROI for every $1 spent.
Here in this article, we’ve curated the most important email marketing metrics to help you improve your campaigns and take advantage of this all-important business communication channel.
General Email Statistics
- The email marketing industry had a value of $7.5 billion in 2020, and is predicted to increase to $17.9 billion by 2021.
- In 2020 the worldwide email marketing software market was valued at a total of £1.3 billion, and is predicted to increase to 2.28 billion by 2027.
- According to Statistia, there were around 4 billion people using email in 2019. That figure is predicted to increase to 4.6 billion by 2025.
- The number of daily emails that are sent and received globally has been steadily increasing since 2017. In 2020 an estimated 306.4 billion emails were sent daily, and is predicted to increase to more than 376.4 billion emails per day by 2025.
- A 2021 survey conducted among US advertisers concluded that 86% of them stated email newsletters is still a crucial communication tool between their brand and customers. 88% also said that email newsletters will continue to be a valuable method of reaching their target customers.
Email Marketing Effectiveness Statistics
- According to Litmus, email marketing is still the most effective channel for generating revenue. In 2020 email brought a return on investment (ROI) of $42 for every $1 spent. In 2018 the average ROI via email was $38.10. This shows that email marketing has increased in value as a promotional activity.
- In 2020-2021, a survey conducted with B2B marketers as well as B2C marketers showed that 38% reported that the effectiveness of their email marketing campaigns had increased. 23% reported a decline in effectiveness.
- Data gathered in 2020 from an unknown email marketing and automation platform showed that automated welcome emails sent out by eCommerce stores converted at around 51.9%. The same email marketing platform also showed that automated cart recovery emails converted at around 33.89%.
Email Open Rates
- A 2020 study showed that the open rate of marketing emails was 18% globally. Among the countries included in the survey, Australia had the highest open rates of marketing emails at 20.6%.
- According to Statistia, during 2020 the open rates of marketing emails were the highest on Fridays with an average of 18.9% opens. The worst day to send a marketing email was on Saturday’s with around 17.3% email recipients actially opening the emails.
Email Click-Through Rates (CTR)
- The average click-through rate of marketing emails was 2.6% in 2020. Of all the countries included in the survey, Australia had the highest email CTR at 3.1%.
- In 2020, the average email click-through rate of marketing emails was shown to be the highest on Fridays at 2.7%. The lowest click-through rate was Saturday’s, at 2.4%.
Email Click-To-Open Rates (CTOR)
- The average click-to-open rate of marketing emails in 2021 was 14.1%. Of all the countries surveyed, the United States proved to have the highest CTOR at 14.9%.
- In 2020, the CTO rates of marketing emails were the highest on Fridays. Marketing emails that were opened on Tuesdays had the lowest CTO rate at 13.5%.
Email Personalization Statistics
Personalization is when you use subscriber data within your email content (subject line and/or email body) to make the email feel tailor-made for them. Overall, email users respond better to personalized emails rather than generic emails.
- A 2019 survey carried out among email marketers showed that 43% of participants stated that personalized emails is the number one factor that, if improved, will have a positive impact on their email marketing campaigns.
- According to this article in Campaign Monitor, emails using personalization in the email subject line are 26% more likely to get opened.
- A study carried out by Experian showed that promotional emails using personalization lead to a 6-fold increase in engagement rate, conversion rates and revenue generation.
Email Automation Statistics
Marketing emails can be scheduled to go out at certain times and for specific reasons. Automation can be set up to trigger when a person completes a specified action on your website.
- In June 2021, 65% of marketers stated that email marketing was their most automated communication and marketing channel.
- Data gathered in 2020 from an unknown email marketing and automation platform showed that automated welcome emails sent out by eCommerce stores converted at around 51.9%. The same email marketing platform also showed that automated cart abandonment emails converted at around 33.89%.
Email Segmentation Statistics
Email list segmentation allows you to send highly targeted messages to specific groups of people on your list by segmenting them into different groups. This allows you to send more relevant information based on audience demographics to improve engagement and interaction with your emails.
- Segmented campaigns receive a higher click-through rate to the tune of 100.95% when contrasted against an email marketing campaign that are not using segmentation, according to MailChimp.
- According to this article in CampaignMonitor, segmented emails can achieve an increase in revenue by as much as 760%.
Landing Page Conversions vs Form Fields
The number of form fields has on your landing page can have a big impact on conversions. Basically, the more information you ask someone to give, the lower your opt-in rates will be, as illustrated by the infographic below.
Email Marketing Stats Final Thoughts
Email marketing is still one of the most effective marketing strategies you can use in your business in 2021. with an average ROI of 40 times your investment, it should be a no-brainer for all businesses.
I hope these email marketing stats are helpful to you and highlight the benefits of email marketing.
You can check back here as often as you like (we will be updating this list frequently) to draw on statistics to help you improve your marketing and automation funnels, segmentation, follow-ups, use of personalization, and more.
After reading this list of email metrics, I’m sure you, like me, agree that it’s worth putting in a little time to improve your email marketing efforts. With a bit of tweaking, you can turn an average email into a revenue-generating machine.
If you want to know what we think are the best email marketing tools to use, then take a look at our top-rated email automation software platforms.
Other Articles You Might Like
Steve West is the founder of entrepreneurnut.com, and has been working online since 2013. He specializes in SEO, YouTube, and affiliate marketing. Besides running his online business, he likes hiking, keeping fit, and eating cookies (which is why he needs to keep fit!)